We have all heard about Lavender Essential Oil which is made by steam distilling Lavender Buds. However, using essential oils at home for skin/hair care can be a bit tricky as essential oils are strong and they are not safe to use for kids. But who doesn't love the floral aroma of Lavender? Not only does it smell relaxing, Lavender offers numerous benefits for skin and hair.
So, let us make Homemade Kashmiri Lavender Oil using our Kashmiri Lavender Buds
through the process of infusion.
Benefits of Lavender Buds for skin & hair
- sweet, relaxing, floral aroma
- soothing for skin & scalp
- have antibacterial and antifungal properties, ideal for mild acne
- great herb for babies
Homemade Lavender Oil
Homemade solar infused lavender oil takes 4 weeks to get ready. The process of infusing the oil using the sun’s heat unites the benefits of the herb used (lavender here) in the oil. The choice of oil depends on what suits your skin, however certain oils with shorter shelf life like rosehip/hemp seed/ watermelon seed/cucumber seed aren’t good for oil infusions. The best oils for infusions are: Almond Oil, Jojoba Oil, Sesame Oil, Coconut Oil and Sunflower Oil.
Here we are choosing Jojoba Oil. Why? Jojoba Oil resembles the sebum that our skin produces which makes it suitable for all skin types. It absorbs quickly without being greasy and also balances excessively dry or oily skin.
Lavender Oil uses
Lavender Oil has a soothing aroma so you can use it as a body oil for yourself and your baby as well. This oil works great as a makeup remover and hair oil for everyone at home. You can also apply it to cracked heels, itchy scalp/wounds and dry lips.
Procedure to Make Lavender Oil at home
- Fill 1/2 of an airtight glass jar with dried Lavender Buds
- Fill the complete jar with Jojoba Oil
- Cap tightly and place the jar near a sunny window.
- Keep an eye on the jar and if you see that the herbs have soaked up some oil in a day, add more.
- After 4 weeks of infusion, sieve using a clean and dry muslin cloth.
- Store in an airtight glass bottle and use up within 2-3 months.